Tuesday, 24 December 2013

Puzzle love


I L.O.V.E. and enjoy solving crosswords (i.e. trying to). Last weekend I discovered that instead of using a whole phrase to talk about this passion, it can be done in one word too: cruciverbalist. (Oxford definition: “someone who enjoys or is skilled at solving crosswords”.)
So let’s start over: I’m a cruciverbalist. In practice this means that every magazine, every newspaper and all other printed media items that go through my hands are screened for the famous word games. No matter how difficult they are, I give every puzzle a try. Please note that I say TRY because, you see, the thing is, even after all my practicing I’m still unable to complete most of the word puzzles correctly. (It’s like Oxford says: “... enjoys OR is skilled at solving ...”)

Anyway, you’re wondering why I’m telling you all this? First of all I made a Christmas-wall-word-puzzle, as a means of combining two passions of mine (Christmas and crosswords) in one “creation”. (It’s what you see in the picture above.) Second of all: in last weekend’s newspaper I read about the centenary of published crosswords. (The first is said to have appeared in The New York Times on 21.12.1913.) After some research on the internet I said to myself “why not bore my readers with funny facts like this?” In the end the blog has been all about Christmas lately so any other topic must look more appealing to you ... right?

P.S. Now I’m done with Christmas decorations blogging. I’ll get back to you about that later ... next year, somewhere mid October or begin November I guess.

sources general informationhttp://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/2013/dec/20/100-years-crosswords-first-new-york

No comments:

Post a Comment